Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Hiding, My Father's Eyes








my father's eye were sea green sometimes gray
unknowable and distant as was he
they could smile but often not.
sometimes like and incoming wave
they could change in an instant
storms clouds quickly rolled in and we knew.
we knew she and I to hide in plain sight
making ourselves small ,still,quiet unnoticed
the tide was rising and we were fearful.
fearful of it's height, might and power
all we could is hold on to each other in silence
while mother became our hiding place.
wrapped up tight in her skirt, she was our levy
our break against the rising angry storm
she never let the dam burst but kept us hidden in her heart.
in latter years after my sister had left I remained
were storms still rolled on dark gray clouds
I no longer feared the thunder and lighting.
I never really knew my father as I would have wished
I do know that I think I understand a little
what lay behind those gray green eyes.



all the years frustrated
life just one disappointment
in the end nothing left



No comments:

Post a Comment